Sunday, March 23, 2008

Parenting Lesson #1,524,456,956.5

** If the Easter Bunny is going to leave a much-yearned-for chocolate bunny for your toddler, be sure that it is small enough to be eaten in one day (ie.. VERY VERY small). **

I don't know what that Bunny was thinking, but he left a (hollow, thankfully) bunny for Maya that should be split into ~ 3 days of eating. Especially as she gets super-hyper from chocolate. So I let her have it while I am doing dishes earlier.. I check on her after a few minutes and 1/2!! of that bunny is eaten!! So that was it for the day.
And what did I hear for the remainder of the ENTIRE day?? Every minute of the rest of the day?
'More chocolate bunny mommy? More bunny? More chocolate bunny? I WANT MORE CHOCOLATE BUNNY!' GIVE ME THE CHOCOLATE BUNNY! CAN i HAVE THE CHOCOLATE BUNNY PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE? PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE?? CHOCOLATE BUUUUUUUUNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Yes. My mistake. Lesson learned.


Btw, this video reminds me of an annoying experience I had yesterday. I was in a check-out line with Maya and the cashier said 'Is that YOUR daughter?' .. which I instantly and with some annoyance replied 'Yes she is.' .. and the stupid woman gets a super-annoyed look on her face and says 'I mean, is she adopted?'.
sigh. I replied, 'yes, she is my daughter and she was adopted.' She follows with 'How long have you had her?'.. which isn't really rude, but was seriously irritating me. I answered with 'she joined our family almost 2 years ago'. And then I'm irritated that I actually gave her that information. I really need to say 'Her daddy is Indian' the next time some idiot makes this statement to us. I mean - hello - she is old enough to hear and somewhat understand what you are saying. Shut up! Keep your thoughts to yourself!
She finished by saying 'Oh, god bless you for doing that'. ARGH! My daughter wasn't a charity project - she was the fabulous result of years of working to grow our family.
I need to be better prepared for this conversation in the future. This wasn't the first time, though it has been several months since I've had a complete stranger be so blatant about it. And I know it is probably surprising to see a dark-skinned child with me - as I am super-white.. but Hello! If DH and I HAD given birth to a bio baby, it might have had dark skin. And then I would be uber po'd by these people. So I basically get uber-po'd anyhow. :)

Anyhow.. hope you all had a festive Easter! I'm off to eat some chocolate!


2 comments:

Nadra said...

Why didn't you learn that lesson and pass it on to me BEFORE Easter? I finally hid his bunny. But, that was after part of the bunny and M & M's for breakfast. Mommy of the year here!

Kristi W. said...

Can't stand those annoying comments either. My favorite is, "Is she your day-care kid?". Love it. ;0

Kristi